Something I don’t mention a lot on here is that I have psoriatic arthritis. The reason I don’t say much is because generally it doesn’t bother me. The worst joint is the knuckle of my right thumb. Yes I have very specific psoriatic arthritis. Maybe, like me, it is very lazy and just can’t be bothered to go anywhere else.
When I first got it,it just ached a it now and hten and suddenly it was twice the size it should be and I was experiencing intense pain. Just hone hand out of action and I had to take two weeks of work to rest it up and try to get the swelling down. It was very annoying as I am very right handed, in fact my left hand is pretty much useless most of the time. It meant not being able to cook, unable to do up buttons or tie up my shoe laces. As much as it was an annoying time for me, I think it was worse for my family as I became a grumpy and very irritable git.
Recently I have had another flare up, in fact I am in the middle of it now and I have learnt a few things.
- Psoriatic arthritis really is painful. How so much pain can be caused by one joint is beyond me. The slightest knock and I am rolling on the floor crying my eyes out. Okay, a slight exaggeration but you get the point.
- I can’t wear 501s. The pain in just trying to do up the buttons is excruciating. I love my 501s and I am sure they feel most unloved as I have cast them aside for easier to wear clothes. Jeans have feelings too you know.
- Work is a pain in the, well, thumb. I work in accounts so spend much of my time at a keyboard and typing one handed is something I just cannot do a hard as I try not to use my right hand too much. But have I complained? Have I moaned about how much my hand hurts and aches? Have I gone on about the fact that work is just making it worse? You bet I have. I’m making sure everyone in the office knows.
- I have a new found admiration for anyone missing any part of their body. I really don’t know how they do it. I just have a thumb out of action and I feel pretty useless most of the time.
- Picking up a pint of beer is really difficult, so I am learning to drink left handed.
- My left hand is rubbish at almost everything with the exception of changing gear when I drive. (Becoming better at picking up pints.)
- I quite enjoy instructing my wife in the kitchen. Chop this, slice that, wash these, get the dishes, pour the wine. I would have made a great head chef and I’m not even shouty.
- My cat has no idea when I’m in pain. What they say about animals feeling when you’re in pain is a load of rubbish or maybe I’m just moaning about it for a bit of sympathy and he is wise to it.
I have been a lot more positive and light hearted about it this time. Honestly, I am in a lot of pain and even typing this out sends a shooting pain up my arm. The difference is now I can see I’m not that bad off. When I first got psoriatic arthritis I was also having a very bad time with my skin so it was a double blow. With my skin partially under control I am able to cope with the pain. Did I mention that it’s really painful? Not sure I got that point across.
This has made me appreciate my thumb and that cats must have a really bad time of it not have opposable thumbs. I would give my thumb a thumbs up and say hang on in there, it will get better. I would like to give psoriatic arthritis the thumbs down. The only thing is I can barely move my thumb so it more of a thumb neither up nor down to both.
I will leave you with this. If you know anyone with any form of arthritis and they mention how painful it is, please believe them. It is not just aching joints. For me it is just one joint and I am having to take anti-inflammatory’s and strong painkillers to cope. There are people with much worse cases than me so give them your support, or a thumbs up!